Manhattan Cocktail

The classic Manhattan Cocktail
Over the last 4-5 years my choice/preference in my drinks has changed quite a bit. I drink wine most of the time but also still prefer really nice cold beer from one of the myriad micro brews that are in San Diego. But recently I have also started to really take interest in whiskey's. Specifically in drinks where the whiskey is the star and not just a backup there to add alcohol content to a drink. I enjoy it neat as well as on the rocks and in simple timeless mixes like the age old classic the Old Fashioned, and of course this drink featured here the Manhattan. As with most of these older drinks the origin is a little fuzzy but who cares about that it exists so we drink it! Traditionally Manhattan's are made with Rye whiskey but anything of your liking is just fine because after all you are the one drinking it so might as well like what it is made out of. The one I made here was made with the fantastic (in my opinion)  Makers 46 bourbon whiskey. But there are tons of really great low cost whiskeys out there for you to try out. Also it can be served in a low ball glass as well if you don't have a martini glass on hand, you may also serve it with an ice cube if you so desire. I personally don't advise the ice cube as it muddles and water's down the flavors to much, my Manhattan's never even touch ice, I serve them in glasses that are chilled for this reason. There are several variations you will find out there for the amounts you put in, following is what I like and you can always change it up to your own liking as well.

Ingredients
3-4 Dashes Angostura Bitters
2 oz. Whiskey of your choice
1 oz. Sweet Vermouth 
1 Maraschino Cherry
Orange Peel for Garnish

Method
If using ice add 3-4 cubes to a shaker and add everything except the cherry and orange peel and stir gently to combine. Add cherry to either Martini or low ball glass and pour drink over it, preferably straining out the ice, garnish with orange peel, serve and enjoy. If you would like to not use ice chill glass in freezer and add ingredients to a shaker with  and stir gently to combine then pour into chilled glass.

Comments

Popular Posts