Buttermilk Rye Bread


Rye bread is one of those breads that I find people either love it or hate it. I have not come across too many people that fall in the middle. I am not sure if it is the texture difference that rye flour provides or the carraway seeds that are in rye breads. All I know is that I love it so I wanted to share this recipe that I came up with one day. When I decided to finally tackle rye bread at home I found it a little difficult to actually find rye flour in stores. It is easy enough to find online but I wanted to be able to just go pick some up when I felt like making some. Thankfully our local Sprouts Farmers Market carries a lot of the Bob's Red Mill flour line (which is what I use exclusively) including their Organic Dark rye flour. They also make a light rye but I have not been able to find it anywhere besides their website. I also wanted to make a free form loaf for this recipe as I really like the way they look. You could put this into a loaf pan but it is quite a lot of ingredients so it would need to be at least a 1.5 pound loaf pan, alternatively you could cut the measurements down if you desire. But I reccommend you try it out this way first. When I made this loaf the other day I was lucky that it had cooled down by lunch time. So all I had to do was just slather on a nice heap of whoel grain mustard with a little extra sharp cheddar cheese and call it good to go. Now the shape of this loaf makes sandwiches a little difficult but not totally undoable. Another use is with some really good cheese Fondue and maybe add in some B&B pickles for a little sweet crunch. Hope you enjoy this bread as much as I do and I am happy to answer any questions and welcome your comments.

Ingredients
2 1/2 C Unbleached All-Purpose flour
1 1/2 C Rye flour
1 1/4 C luke warm water
1 C Buttermilk (warmed slowly to prevent curdling)
2 Tbsp Butter melted (salted or unsalted)
2 Tbsp Molasses (not Blackstrap)
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Dry Active Yeast
1 tsp Salt
4 Tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten (if using add equal amount of water)
 1 1/2 Tbsp Carraway Seeds (more or less to taste)
Corn Meal for sprinkling on pan

Method
*If you don't have buttermilk on hand you can mix 1 Tbsp white vinegar with 1 C whole or 2% milk and let it sit for 5 minutes*

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook add the molasses and the luke warm water and swirl to disolve the molasses then add the yeast and stir in. Let sit while you get the other ingredients together
2. Once all the ingredients are measured out add everything to the mixing bowl ending with the warmed buttermilk and the butter. Start mixing the ingrdients on low speed until the dough starts to come together
3. Increase speed to medium and mix for another 3-5 minutes to knead the dough
4. Once mixed place the dough into a greased bowl cover and let rise for 1 1/2-2 hours or until doubled

It is alive!


5. Once doubled deflate dough and turn out onto a work surface and knead the dough slighty for a minute or two and then shape into a rough oval
6. Sprinkle a baking sheet with corn meal and place dough in the pan and finish shaping to your desired final shape

Almost Ready to go


7. Let dough rise for about another 60 minutes preheating your oven to 400F toward the end of the rise and moving a rack to a lower middle section of your oven
8. If you want to at this point slash the dough with a sharp knife or razor blade. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes checking halfway through to make sure its not getting to brown. If it is looking like it is browning to quick place some foil over the bread to prevent burning
9. Remove bread from oven when done baking and let cool completely on a wire rack

Fresh out of the oven
10. Slice, Serve, and Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts